Mog and Gom Alphabet Frieze
Suitable for: Foundation, Year 1, Year 2
Each panel of this frieze includes the capital letter, lower case letter and picture mnemonic.
Frieze size: 167mm x 3.6m
Chart size: 670mm x 980mm
How to use this frieze:
Teaching the alphabet song
1. Point to the letters as the children sing the alphabet song.
2. Continue singing the song daily and pointing to the letters until you are satisfied that all the children know the letter names.
3. Pick out a few previously taught sounds each day and connect the names of the letter with the sounds.
Teaching letter names (example given for a)
1. Point to the letter a and tell the children that it is an a (say its name) and stands for the sound /a/ (say its pure sound).
2. Point to another letter that they already know the sound of (e.g. t) telling the children its name. Ask them what sound it stands for.
3. Continue with all known letter sounds.
Teaching capital letters
Sing the alphabet song while pointing to the lower case and upper case letters on an alphabet frieze. After a few weeks progress to pointing at the upper or lower case letters on the frieze and ask children to name the letter and the sound that it makes for GPCs that have been introduced.